The broad prospects of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose in the construction industry cannot be questioned. Its excellent thickening performance and water retention performance make its application in the construction industry not to be ignored. Now let’s talk about the viscosity characteristics of the aqueous solution of hydroxypropyl methylcellulose:
Hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose aqueous solution is a non-ionic, water-soluble cellulose ether, with an appearance of white or light yellow powder or granular substance. It is tasteless, odorless, and non-toxic. The product has stable chemical properties and forms a smooth, slightly transparent viscous liquid in water.
What are the factors affecting the viscosity of hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose aqueous solution?
1) Relationship with polymer: The viscosity of the hydroxypropyl methylcellulose aqueous solution is proportional to the polymer or molecular weight, and it increases with the increase of the degree of polymerization. This effect is higher in the case of low polymerization than in the case of high polymerization. More obvious.
2) The relationship between viscosity and concentration: The viscosity of hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose in the aqueous solution rises as the concentration of the aqueous solution rises, and a small concentration change in time can also cause a larger change in viscosity.
3) The relationship between viscosity and shear rate: The test shows that hydroxypropyl methylcellulose has no obvious change at low shear rate, and the viscosity decreases with the increase of shear rate.
4) The relationship between viscosity and temperature: Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is greatly affected by temperature, and as the temperature increases, the viscosity decreases.
5) The influence of other factors: the viscosity of hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose and various additives, solutions, and PH value also have an influence.