Redispersible Polymer Powder Rdp Used in Mortar
Redispersible polymer powder (RDP) is a type of polymer that can be redispersed in water to form a stable emulsion. It is commonly used in the construction industry as an additive in mortar, grout, and other cementitious materials.
RDP is typically made from vinyl acetate and ethylene monomers. It is produced by spray-drying a polymer emulsion, which is a mixture of polymer particles, water, and other additives. The resulting powder is a free-flowing, white or off-white material that is soluble in water.
When RDP is added to water, it redisperses to form a stable emulsion. This emulsion can then be mixed with cement, sand, and other aggregates to form mortar or grout. RDP improves the properties of mortar and grout in several ways, including:
- Adhesion: RDP enhances the adhesion of mortar and grout to a variety of substrates, including concrete, brick, and masonry. This makes it ideal for applications where strong adhesion is required, such as tile setting and stone veneering.
- Flexibility: RDP improves the flexibility of mortar and grout, making them less prone to cracking and shrinkage. This is especially important in areas that are subject to movement, such as joints and transitions.
- Water resistance: RDP enhances the water resistance of mortar and grout, making them less permeable to water. This helps to protect against water damage and efflorescence.
- Workability: RDP improves the workability of mortar and grout, making them easier to mix and apply. This can save time and labor costs.
RDP is used in a variety of mortar and grout applications, including:
- Tile adhesives: RDP is commonly used in tile adhesives to improve adhesion, flexibility, and water resistance.
- Thin-set mortars: RDP is used in thin-set mortars to improve adhesion, flexibility, and water resistance. These mortars are typically used for setting ceramic and porcelain tiles.
- Leveling compounds: RDP is used in leveling compounds to improve workability and adhesion. These compounds are used to smooth uneven surfaces before installing flooring or other materials.
- Exterior stucco: RDP is used in exterior stucco to improve adhesion, flexibility, and water resistance. Stucco is a type of plaster that is used to cover exterior walls.
- Concrete repair: RDP is used in concrete repair materials to improve adhesion, flexibility, and water resistance. These materials are used to repair cracks, spalling, and other damage to concrete surfaces.
RDP is a versatile and effective additive that can improve the properties of mortar and grout in a variety of applications. It is a safe and easy-to-use product that is widely used in the construction industry.